A friend of mine asked if I could post some photos of some projects I did in the past. Here are 3 ‘mini’ sculpts I created a few years ago: An evil tree-man, a huge earth elemental and a giant owl-bear from the D&D universe.
All these were sculpted mainly using Magic Sculpt putty.
See: brushing your teeth IS important…
Just a quick update on my “Giant” dwarf statue: I have done some retouching to forehead and eyebrows, and I also started to sculpt the fabric/leather on his back (the stitches are still missing, but you get the idea.)
I just need to do some retouching to the hairs at the back of the head and define the shoulders (or shoulder pads maybe) and it will be ready for casting (in a 2 part mold this time, and this will be a first for me: I have never done a 2 part mold…)
Enjoy and stay tuned!
I did a conversion on my Barbarian Hero miniature from Reaper.
Barbarian Hero, a very nice 28mm mini by Reaper Miniatures.
I wanted a barbarian with a 2 handed sword instead of the axe this big guy is wielding. I also wanted to make a nice, small (1 inch) base for it. The base “provided” with that mini (actually, the mini is molded with a thick wide base) was too wide, so I had to cut it partially to make it shorter, so it could fit on a standard 1 inch square base. I change the “stance” of the barbarian by raising a bit his left foot, so he’s more upright (almost like “climbing”).
Barbarian Hero, with custom base and sword.
As for the base, nothing special here: standard techniques with small rocks, Magic sculpt, a bit of mortar and toothpicks.
I plan to make a winter theme base for this one, with some snow. That will be a first for me: I never made snow on a mini base.
I’ll post some pictures when this little project will progress.
A simple base to make, really. With techniques I use often.
I just got my Raynox DCR-250 lens and did some tests.
Wow! I knew I would get close to my minis, but I’m still really impressed by sharpness of the details. All photos were taken directly on my work area, with only one desk lamp as a light source, and they are great anyway! Just imagine if I had set up a proper lighting array… Here are some examples:
Elf archer, 28mm. Shot taken with a SX-50 HS camera equipped with a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens.
I recently purchased a new camera: a Canon SX-50 HS.
Canon SX-50 hs
I wanted to have an alternative to the Canon ELPH-100 HS (my daughter’s camera) wich I was constantly borrowing and using, mostly, for macro photography. The ELPH-100 is a very good little camera, 12 megapixels, compact and easy to use and it takes good pictures. It is small enough to fit in your pocket and shines when you want to take outdoors photos of people and landscape. But inside, under tungsten lights and in extreme close-ups, it has limited capacities and I was constantly shooting multiple time each subject, struggling to get the focus ok and no matter what setting I used, the colors were always washed out, so I had to post-process the photos in Photoshop to color-correct them. Don’t get me wrong: the ELPH is a very good camera. The point is I needed more, but I am not a very good photographer so the camera needs to do a bit of work for me and be somewhat easy to use. So, I needed a “bridge”: a camera that is in that category between professional cameras and casual cameras.
Enters the SX 50 HS (12 megapixels too).
Here is the result of the molding and casting of my tiny skulls.
The Army of the Dead!
I started to make the molds for my skulls (see last post) but the molding rubber takes forever to set, so meanwhile I worked a bit on my giant dwarf bust. Seriously!…
I was playing with tiny bits of Magic Sculpt and came up with these:
Yep. 28mm scale human skulls. It’s tiny. Each one took me about 10 – 15 minutes to make. They were sculpted with a needle tip and a precision screwdriver. They are mounted on finishing nails for handling.
I plan to make a mold and cast dozens of them in resin, so I’ll have my own little skulls for decorating miniature bases.
I’ll keep you all posted with the progress of that micro-project.
Just a quick test I did for a miniature base.
I had a left over small ball of Magic Sculpt. I made a thin ‘sheet’ out of it and I textured it by pressing a piece of cheap jewelry that had a nice “mosaic” pattern to it. I wanted to see if I could get a ‘ruin’ or ‘mosaic’ effect for basing minis quickly this way.