I decided to finish the IS-3 tank from Tamiya I built a while ago.
As soon as it was on my workbench again, I thought it was too dark and not “yellowish” enough. I was afraid further weathering would make it even darker and conceal the details. So I decided to do a bit more highlights.
I think its color will be much more suited now for weathering and washes.
I also decided to go for a small Budapest 1956 Diorama instead of the original Berlin Victory Parade 1945 I was planning to do, so I will be able to put the model amongst debris and barricades (also this gives me more latitude for heavier weathering, since the tank would have been in service for 11 more years by 1956). The Hungarian insurrection of 1956 was pretty violent, the streets of Budapest were a mess and a number of JS-3 were involved (event destroyed!).
I painted my E-100 tank. No weathering yet, just base colors, camo and decals.
I used Tamiya Dark Yellow as the base color, with highlights of a mix of Dark Yellow, White and Buff. The green is from Model Master 4798 Panzer Olivgrün 1943, It is a blueish medium green I find particularly good looking on Dark Yellow.
The tracks were simply painted black then added touches of Red Brown from Tamiya.
The red primer on the guns, on exposed parts of the sides and one of the skirts is Vallejo 70.985 Hull Red.
The skirts are not glued on yet (they were just applied temporarily to the tank with blue tack for the photos).
The fun will begin soon: weathering!!! Yeah!!!
I have been working recently on a very nice E-50 Standardpanzer tank from Trumpeter. The model was easy to build (not too many parts) and is nicely detailed. The only problem is I got it on discount because the box had been opened and the barrel, gun mantle and fixation was missing. I ordered an aluminum barrel on E-Bay, and I scratch builded the mantle and gun fixation.
Since this is a so-called “paper tank” that was never built and never saw actual service, this is a “what if” project. This gives me a lot of freedom, for the camouflage, accessories and diorama.
As for the camo, I decided to go with a polka-dot hard edge ambush pattern. I used a paler shade of dunkelgelb because I wanted more contrast than usual. For the brown, I used Tamiya Hull Red XF-9 as in late war camouflage, the rust proof primer was often lay bare and used as brown in camouflage patterns. The green is Tamiya J.A. Green XF-13.
I tried using the airbrush to paint the dots (with a mask) but it was really tedious. It was also very difficult to be precise on many areas, so I finally decided to hand-paint the dots.
I’m planning to put this beast on a diorama full of debris, a “what if” version of Berlin in 1946, if the war turned out differently than it did…
Yep! Russian green again…
I just finished the base coat on my Dragon KV-1 tank. A very nice kit, with good quality plastic tracks. It was a charm to assemble. And now it’s painting time…
I plan to white wash this model (winter camouflage): Since it is my 3rd soviet tank model in a row (still working on my IS-3), I am getting tired of all the green…
I just finished the base coat on my IS-3. The colour is the same as my recent ISU-152, so same paints and same techniques…
The model looks a bit darker because of the gloss varnish: It is now ready for washes…
Washes and chipping done! I also began weathering the tracks, rusting the exhausts, blackening the tip of the gun barrel etc.
I still have some retouching to do. Plus I want to lightly spray the model with a subtle mist of Tamiya Buff to simulate dirt and dust.
I still have to finish the DShK machine-gun that goes on the turret too.
Then… the diorama! Yeah!
I’ve been assembling a ISU-152 (1/35) recently and this is the result of the base coat (colour).
This is my first model from Zvezda. Like all their kits, it was really affordable. But it is also quite basic, lacking details, with a very underwhelming set of decals, flashing on almost every part etc.
Ah! And with horrible vinyl tracks too.
I had little pleasure putting it together (sanding Fest!) but to be honest once done, it’s a nice model to look at and I think I will have some fun painting and weathering this beast.
I used Tamiya J.A. Green as a base color, with a mix of Yellow Green, J.A. Green and Buff for the highlights. My choice of colours was influenced by some posts on the blog of an amazing modeller named Vladimir Adamec (take a look at his work!).
Since I don’t want to spend anymore money on such a poor kit, I will keep the vinyl tracks. I plan to create some sag with the use of metal pins (like I did on my KV-2 model) and hide the imperfections with mud. Lots of mud.
Enjoy the pics!
ISU-152, Zvezda, 1/35 base color (with oil paint filter), front view
ISU-152, Zvezda, 1/35 base color (with oil paint filter), side view
ISU-152, Zvezda, 1/35 base color (with oil paint filter), rear view