I’ve put my Bt-7 / Panzer III project on hold. I’ll come back to it soon, it’s just that I finally got my hand on a model I wanted to get for a long time: A 1/35 Maus Tank (CyberHobby #9133 kit).
I was so excited to start this build that I completed 99% of the assembly in a week.
I added some minor details (I just can’t help it). It is almost ready for primer and painting now.
The suspension and wheels are a bit of a pain to clean up and put together, and the operation is quite frustrating when you realize that a very small portion of the whole thing will be visible because of the side panels of the hull.
Overall, I have no doubts it will be a very cool model to look at in the end.
Enjoy the pictures!
Tracks are fine. I am considering building only half of them, since the upper part of the tracks will be completely hidden.
Cast texture added on the gun mantlet.
The main deflector was cut in 3 parts (so the panels underneath could be logically accessible). I added weld marks too.
Smal tube added to connect to a fuel line later.
Small handle added to the main access hatch.
Some plastic cement to add texture on the exhausts.
Mosquito mesh was glued under the hull to add detail and realism to the ventilation grates.
12 sub-modules like these make the Maus suspension… mostly hidden in the final constructed model.
Just a quick update on this project.
The sanding/cleaning is done. Small modifications have been made (the muffler was replaced and the stowage bin on the turret was removed).
I did the base coat, color modulation and I applied the decals. The model is now varnished, ready for weathering and white washing (winter camouflage).
I sculpted a new barrel to replace the missing one. It is not 100% accurate, but with the snow and debris I am planning to put on the tank in the upcomming diorama, I guess it won’t matter that much.
I am also currently painting many little accesories to add as stowage on the engine deck (jerrycans, crates, bags, etc.)
So far, so good.
Here are 2 pictures (before/after):