This summer, I am pretty busy doing some 1:1 crafting (renovation of the family room in the basement). So, I haven’t done much progress on my dioramas and tanks. I have still managed to put together a nice kit by trumpeter; the Entwicklungsfahrzeug E-10.
This is a so-called “paper tank”, like my E-50 and E-100. It never entered production (only a wooden mockup was built). It is reminiscent of the Hetzer, a small mobile tank destroyer, but with a key special feature: A “kneeling” suspension, meaning that the tank could lower its profile while in shooting position (from 176cm to 140cm according to Wikipedia).
A nice kit overall, which is quick to put together (if you go with the rubber band tracks, instead of the individual link ones like I did…)
I haven’t decided yet if I am going to use the photo-etched schürzen provided in the kit (I feel it would be a shame to hide those nice looking tracks).
The jack and machine gun are missing in the pictures: I will paint these separately. You will also notice some blue tack holding the tracks together. The tracks are glued in 2 “strips” per side, so they can be removed for painting. The wheels aren’t glued either for now.
I kept the scratch building to a minimum on this model. I added some numbers on the gun mantlet, replaced the 2 parts main gun with a 1 part Hetzer gun (no seams!) I had around and repaired one of the tow cables I accidentally broke with a spare one. I also drilled the hole in the machine-gun barrel.
Enjoy the pics!
Yeah! I am done with my E-50 diorama. I’m quite pleased with the base (rubbles, sandbags and all).
It just needs a miniature or two. I have them on the way (stay tuned for future posts).
Wait… there are still some little things to complete… Like adding antennas to the tank… and some barbwiresin the rubbles.
Let’s call this one 99% done, ok?
Anyway, enjoy the pics!
A couple of months ago, I picked up a panzer 35(t) kit (Academy #13313).
These small Czech tanks were captured by the germans in mars 1939. They were used during the invasion of Poland and France at the start of WWII. They saw combats up until 1941, being by then totally outmatched by more recent enemy tanks (especially on the eastern front).
I find that this tank has an “old school” look to it, due mainly to the countless protruding rivets, small size and small gun. It looks a bit WWI-ish to me.
I am sorry for not posting the first steps of this (simple) build. I am already done with priming, pre-shading, base coat, decals and main details (like tools and exhaust).
This little fellow is varnished and ready for weathering (chipping, oils washes and pigments).
Here are the pictures of my E-100 tank diorama, finally!
I added a german officer figure on the base. For the uniform, I got inspired by camouflage patterns used by the SS near the end of WWII. But I have chosen a more “sandy” colors, as I find it more interesting on this kind of terrain (soft earth tones). Since it is a paper tank after all, the uniform doesn’t need to be historically accurate.
I also added a touch of vegetation, with some branches, leaves and dried grass. The barren, all mud and earth base was not visually satisfying without plants, in my opinion.
So, it is 99.9999% done (I still have to put a bit of gloss varnish on the tail light).
Enjoy the pics!
I started working on the base for my E-100 tank. I used Apoxy-Sculpt to sculpt the ground, in wich I embedded various debris and stuff. I’m going for a war ravaged muddy ground with almost no vegetation.
I airbrushed a flat earth tone on top of the black primer, then I did many touch ups with various earth-like colours. After that, I made multiple washes with different shades of brown, burnt umber and greenish grey.
The scrap pieces of metal and the oil drum were given a rust finish, then a chipping treatment with the hairspray technique.
I ended up adding warmer washes in the end, to have richer colours.
So far, so good. Enjoy!
Weathering almost done. I just have to add a touch of pigments & dust. Some minor details too (painting periscope lenses, tail light, adding machineguns on the sides of the turret).
Enjoy the pics!
I painted my E-100 tank. No weathering yet, just base colors, camo and decals.
I used Tamiya Dark Yellow as the base color, with highlights of a mix of Dark Yellow, White and Buff. The green is from Model Master 4798 Panzer Olivgrün 1943, It is a blueish medium green I find particularly good looking on Dark Yellow.
The tracks were simply painted black then added touches of Red Brown from Tamiya.
The red primer on the guns, on exposed parts of the sides and one of the skirts is Vallejo 70.985 Hull Red.
The skirts are not glued on yet (they were just applied temporarily to the tank with blue tack for the photos).
The fun will begin soon: weathering!!! Yeah!!!