I started to work on the diorama for my JS-2 tank. I wanted to keep it small and simple, but as always I got carried away a bit, adding lots of details in the rubbles. The scene is supposed to take place right after the fall of Berlin.
I had a white plastic wedding cake column in my parts bin (leftover from some wargaming terrain I did a while ago). I decided to use this in the diorama as a way to suggest the destruction of fine german classical architecture. A library? A bank? Who knows…
Still, something was missing to really coin it. This small diorama had to evoque the fall or Berlin (and I didn’t want to use another nazi flag, as I did in this other diorama). So I sculpted a nazi eagle emblem, the kind of wich was afixed to many building facades in large german cities during the 3rd Reich. I used Apoxy sculpt and fine tools (including a needle) to sculpt, and did it while listening to an audio book of H.P. Lovecraft novels.
I know. No link. But somehow the combination of sculpting and listening to cosmic horror stories is really relaxing for the brain 🙂
Anyway, enjoy the pics for now: I’ll be painting all this and posting the results in early 2019.
Happy New Year to all of you!
Strips of cork. I cut them in small “bricks”, sanded the edges and glued them one by one. I took A LONG TIME! But the end result is very good.
The plastic column was butchered with a rotary tool…
I used epoxy putty to fill the hollow parts. With a saw, I also scribed the horizontal lines, to add a touch of realism.
More expoxy putty work.
The cock pavement is completed. I test fit the elements…
Work is started on the nazi eagle (Apoxy Sculpt).
The cobblestone is grouted with drywall compound.
With a heated needle, I made some holes on the column. I then used my X-Acto to carve around the holes to simulate bullet impacts on the stone.
Various debris are then glued to the base using white glue and wood filler.
The debris, from another angle.
The finished eagle. When it will be painted, I plan to but a chain near it to suggest that it might have being torn from the facade…
Again , the rubbles: bits of cork, styrofoam, pieces of wood, a some plastic bits.
Test fitting the JS-2. The miniatures are to be repainted (I don’t like the green of their uniforms)
Test fitting: Another angle.
Vasquez: “Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.”
Well, they are here!!! This is my attempt at sculpting a decent Alien egg and a scary facehugger for the gaming table.
Needless to say, these will get replicated >> evil grin <<
This time, simple props for tabletop gaming I did. Mostly made with styrofoam – and small rocks, sand, static grass, white glue… you get the picture 🙂
These are very good beginner projects. But even for old gamers like myself, they’re quite pleasing to build and easy to paint (painting is mostly dry brushing). You can make tons of them in a single weekend! And they look great on the gaming table!
Some pics of very simple ones:
Simple game prop. About 1 inch tall.
Simple game prop. About 2 inches tall.
A friend of mine asked if I could post some photos of some projects I did in the past. Here are 3 ‘mini’ sculpts I created a few years ago: An evil tree-man, a huge earth elemental and a giant owl-bear from the D&D universe.
All these were sculpted mainly using Magic Sculpt putty.
See: brushing your teeth IS important…
Just a quick update on my “Giant” dwarf statue: I have done some retouching to forehead and eyebrows, and I also started to sculpt the fabric/leather on his back (the stitches are still missing, but you get the idea.)
I just need to do some retouching to the hairs at the back of the head and define the shoulders (or shoulder pads maybe) and it will be ready for casting (in a 2 part mold this time, and this will be a first for me: I have never done a 2 part mold…)
Enjoy and stay tuned!
Here is the result of the molding and casting of my tiny skulls.
The Army of the Dead!
I started to make the molds for my skulls (see last post) but the molding rubber takes forever to set, so meanwhile I worked a bit on my giant dwarf bust. Seriously!…
I was playing with tiny bits of Magic Sculpt and came up with these:
Yep. 28mm scale human skulls. It’s tiny. Each one took me about 10 – 15 minutes to make. They were sculpted with a needle tip and a precision screwdriver. They are mounted on finishing nails for handling.
I plan to make a mold and cast dozens of them in resin, so I’ll have my own little skulls for decorating miniature bases.
I’ll keep you all posted with the progress of that micro-project.
I’ve been sculpting a lot, and it is progressing well.
Not a lot of progress today: I did a few experiments for sculpting the scales. I sculpted a few individual scales, just to get a feeling of the technique.
Then I made some negative impressions of the scales to use as tools to sculpt scales more easily. I haven’t experimented the technique yet (the tips of my “tools” are not completely “dry”). I will post some photos of my experiments soon…
Here are the tools: Made by pressing a small ball of Magic Sculpt on a nail, and then pressing that on an already sculpted scale to get an impression…