I’ve put my Bt-7 / Panzer III project on hold. I’ll come back to it soon, it’s just that I finally got my hand on a model I wanted to get for a long time: A 1/35 Maus Tank (CyberHobby #9133 kit).
I was so excited to start this build that I completed 99% of the assembly in a week.
I added some minor details (I just can’t help it). It is almost ready for primer and painting now.
The suspension and wheels are a bit of a pain to clean up and put together, and the operation is quite frustrating when you realize that a very small portion of the whole thing will be visible because of the side panels of the hull.
Overall, I have no doubts it will be a very cool model to look at in the end.
Enjoy the pictures!
Tracks are fine. I am considering building only half of them, since the upper part of the tracks will be completely hidden.
Cast texture added on the gun mantlet.
The main deflector was cut in 3 parts (so the panels underneath could be logically accessible). I added weld marks too.
Smal tube added to connect to a fuel line later.
Small handle added to the main access hatch.
Some plastic cement to add texture on the exhausts.
Mosquito mesh was glued under the hull to add detail and realism to the ventilation grates.
12 sub-modules like these make the Maus suspension… mostly hidden in the final constructed model.
Just a quick update on this project.
The sanding/cleaning is done. Small modifications have been made (the muffler was replaced and the stowage bin on the turret was removed).
I did the base coat, color modulation and I applied the decals. The model is now varnished, ready for weathering and white washing (winter camouflage).
I sculpted a new barrel to replace the missing one. It is not 100% accurate, but with the snow and debris I am planning to put on the tank in the upcomming diorama, I guess it won’t matter that much.
I am also currently painting many little accesories to add as stowage on the engine deck (jerrycans, crates, bags, etc.)
So far, so good.
Here are 2 pictures (before/after):
More work on the color modulation for the winter white wash (with oil paints). The effects are subtle, but I think there is more richenesss to the tints.
There is also some lovely dripping, streaking, chipping and accumulations that help selling the idea of a badly weathered winter camo.
I’ll be ready to add mud and dirt!
My favorite part (it’s oddly satisfying to mess-up a good paint job!).
Ain’t life great? 🙂
Yep! It’s improving!
I added some chipping and a dark brown wash. I used white oil paint to correct and improve the contrast of some areas in the winter wash. I also used very light touches of burnt sienna oil paint to simulate rust. Artist’s oil paints are marvelous to work with, but take a long time to dry. I’ll have to leave this model alone for a few days to let the paint dry (it is applied VERY thin, mind you, otherwise it could take weeks or even months to dry).
When the paint will be dry enough, I’ll give the model a clear coat (Tamiya Flat Clear) and I’ll be ready for the next steps (including pigments and mud effects).
So far so good!
PS: The pictures in this post are a bit yellowish because I swapped a del light bulb in my lighting setup for an incandescent light, without adjusting my camera. Doh! Anyway, I think they’re good enough for now…
Just a quick update on my BT-7.
I applied the winter wash and did the chipping effects with hairspray. I am not 100% satisfied with the look of it, but some color modulation with oil paints and some weathering will probably do the trick.
More to come real soon.
Wow! It’s been a while since I posted anything!
My 2020 resolution: post a little more than in 2019…
Beginning with this completed diorama for my Panzer 35(t). I tried new techniques for the weathering, using very diluted enamel paints (Humbrol) to create dust accumulation effects.
For the diorama, I also tried using a static grass applicator (battery powered). The result is ok, but I think I will need more pratice to achieve better looking results.
I wanted to suggest a scene in france at the start of the war, hence the road sign for Lisieux (printed on an ink jet printer).
The fence is an accessory from an old Tamiya kit. I used the hairspray chipping technique on this to get a well worn look. The ground is made with 2 part epoxy putty (Apoxy sculpt).
Enjoy the pics! And keep an eye on this blog: another post is coming soon!
Here’s a new kit, mostly completed: Dragon’s Jagdpanzer IV A-0 (kit no. 9059).
It’s a really nice model, with very good details. It includes photo-etched schurzen. It also includes a metal barrel but since the end of the barrel is still a plastic part, I figured It would be easier to glue the plastic barrel instead. Once painted, it will make no difference.
This version of the Jagdpanzer was a pre-production unit, mostly used for training, but a few were used with Panzer Lehr Division in 1944. Some with zimmerit, some without.
I think I’ll go with the Panzer Lehr version and a standard 3 color camo, no zimmerit.
Distinctive rounded glacis on this version: the later models were more angular.
rubber tracks, just for testing
rubber tracks, just for testing