Just a quick update on my Panzerkampfwagen II from Tamiya: I finally painted the commander figure.
Wow! I’ve been really busy at work lately, so I had no time to complete my projects and post updates…
Still, I managed to find some time to work on this bad boy: a 1/35 JS-2 by Tamiya (kit number: 35289).
There’s not much to say: the kit went together beautifully. I made minimal modifications: bending fenders a bit, and replacing the handles of the fuel tanks with thinner metal strips.
As for painting, nothing special there too: same colors and techniques as my ISU-152
I am not done yet: some streaks and pigments need to be added to the upper part, and a few touch ups are still required.
I am currently painting the miniatures, so stay tuned!
Meanwhile, enjoy the pictures…
I needed a break from painting tanks. And I wanted to work on something simple…
So I dug up an old model from the “maybe-I’ll-finish-it-someday” stack: A 1:100 AT-AT from MPC. This model was produced in 1989 and is quite decent, even straight out of the box.
The kit was slightly damaged (missing a piece on a leg and some other bits) and the barrels of the two slim canons were broken. I had to dot a little bit of scratch building to fix all this, but nothing serious.
The model was painted in pale grey then heavily weathered with oil paints and washes.
The large rocks on the base are made from bark and cork, while smaller rocks are just real pebbles and coarse sand.
The snowspeeder that came with the kit (in fact, there was 2) is not very detailed by modern standards, but with a good paint job and weathering it looks ok.
The snow was made by mixing Woodland Scenic Snow with Matt Mod Podge in a “peanut butter like” consistency. It was then applied onto the base with a small spatula. The models were pressed on the mix. Once the surface began to dry, I used a hobby knife and a tooth pick to shape the snow around the models and near the rocks.
Once the snow was completely cured, I sprayed small amounts of white paint (just a mist, really) on the whole scene to tie up the different tones in that “frosty” winter feel…
The smoke for the snowspeeder crash is simply a small ball of synthetic pillow stuffing material, lightly painted with the airbrush. The fibers are a bit coarse to my taste, so I might replace that little detail one day.
As for now, I consider this project done. I’m satisfied with the overall look of the scene.
Enjoy the pictures!
I had a bit of time available to complete my IS-3 diorama!
I scratch builded the furniture for the barricade from plasticard. The cobblestone road is made from a sheet of foamcore. I also printed small newspapers to add to the debris on the street. The miniature is from Mini Art (kit 35027).
Right after Christmas, the urge to build a new model was really strong for me, but I wanted to build something simple and quick for a change.
On my shelves stood an old Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G from Tamiya. A kit produced in… 1971! The kit includes 5 figures. I only intend to use the tank commander figure.
Just to give you an idea of the simplistic, toy like nature of the kit: There’s almost as many miniatures parts in the box than actual tank parts…
Vinyl tracks (without details on the inside), molded on suspension, tool clamps that are just plain rectangles, no hole in the barrel, etc… The kit is way under modern standards and would require a tremendous amount of work to make it really accurate.
But I really didn’t want to put all the efforts (and after market products) required: I just wanted a fun build.
I decided to build and paint that little monster as is, OOB. No fuss. The only modifications I did were to drill holes in the main gun and machine-gun barrels and fill the gaps at the bottom of the hull with plasticard.
The decals gave me serious headaches: They were very thick, yellowish and did not stick well to the model. A huge chunk of the big letter R on one side of the turret even broke of during weathering. I made a Nazi flag from epoxy putty to hide this.
The diorama was pretty basic and quick to make. Again: no fuss.
The whole thing, diorama included, was built in little less than 2 weeks.
It’s not 100% done:
Overall, it was a fun project. And in the end, it doesn’t look so bad for such an old kit.
Enjoy the pics!
Almost done! Some minor details to fix: add an antenna, add some mud on the mud scrapers near the drive wheels and glue the tracks to the wheels.
I don’t think I will be able to create sag in the tracks since they are too tight… I should have known better not to glue the front wheels, wich act as track tensioners. Once the tracks will be glued to the wheels, at least they will stop “levitating”…
Small diorama coming soon! Yeah!