I started to make the molds for my skulls (see last post) but the molding rubber takes forever to set, so meanwhile I worked a bit on my giant dwarf bust. Seriously!…
I was playing with tiny bits of Magic Sculpt and came up with these:
Yep. 28mm scale human skulls. It’s tiny. Each one took me about 10 – 15 minutes to make. They were sculpted with a needle tip and a precision screwdriver. They are mounted on finishing nails for handling.
I plan to make a mold and cast dozens of them in resin, so I’ll have my own little skulls for decorating miniature bases.
I’ll keep you all posted with the progress of that micro-project.
Just a quick test I did for a miniature base.
I had a left over small ball of Magic Sculpt. I made a thin ‘sheet’ out of it and I textured it by pressing a piece of cheap jewelry that had a nice “mosaic” pattern to it. I wanted to see if I could get a ‘ruin’ or ‘mosaic’ effect for basing minis quickly this way.
Ok. Something very different this time. I decided to finish a model that a friend gave me a few… hum… years ago: a 1/144 Narcissus spaceship from the original Alien movie, a model sold by Alcyon eons ago.
I love basing minis and making dioramas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of room on a 1 inch square base to create much environment and effects.
Things get more interesting on a 2″ X 2″ (like those below) or larger base…
Just for fun, I have put together those 2 bases recently. I have no idea what mini will go on these but anyway, they were fun to build and will certainly be useful eventually.
This woodland theme base was made with cork, a small broken branch, some dried roots and rocks all glued with PVA glue. I used a bit of Magic Sculpt putty to soften the transition between the elements and to sculpt bark.
Then, I tried something different with a ruin theme base.
For this one I casted a 5mm thick “plate” of plaster. Once almost dried, I used an x-acto and a pin to scribe brick and mosaic patterns on the plaster. I then waited for it to harden fully. The following day, I broke the “plate” in small fragments of various sizes and made this base by gluing interesting pieces on a plastic base with PVA glue. Again, some rocks, sand and a bit of Magic Sculpt (and a Games Workshop plastic skull) were used to blend in the different elements and give a sense of realism and scale to the whole base.
I still have a lot of plaster ruin pieces left from this experiment, enough to make 2 or 3 more similar bases. Cool!
Hi world! I’m sorry for the lack of posts recently: I’ll feed this blog soon with cool stuff… I have worked on many great projects recently.
First, let me introduce you to my dipped orcs friends. I have completed the painting and basing for 18 of these bad guys (just 16 on this photo as the 2 others were still drying).
Overall, I am very pleased with the result: they look great on the gaming table and didn’t take forever to paint.