Wow! It’s been a while since I posted anything!
My 2020 resolution: post a little more than in 2019…
Beginning with this completed diorama for my Panzer 35(t). I tried new techniques for the weathering, using very diluted enamel paints (Humbrol) to create dust accumulation effects.
For the diorama, I also tried using a static grass applicator (battery powered). The result is ok, but I think I will need more pratice to achieve better looking results.
I wanted to suggest a scene in france at the start of the war, hence the road sign for Lisieux (printed on an ink jet printer).
The fence is an accessory from an old Tamiya kit. I used the hairspray chipping technique on this to get a well worn look. The ground is made with 2 part epoxy putty (Apoxy sculpt).
Enjoy the pics! And keep an eye on this blog: another post is coming soon!
Here’s a new kit, mostly completed: Dragon’s Jagdpanzer IV A-0 (kit no. 9059).
It’s a really nice model, with very good details. It includes photo-etched schurzen. It also includes a metal barrel but since the end of the barrel is still a plastic part, I figured It would be easier to glue the plastic barrel instead. Once painted, it will make no difference.
This version of the Jagdpanzer was a pre-production unit, mostly used for training, but a few were used with Panzer Lehr Division in 1944. Some with zimmerit, some without.
I think I’ll go with the Panzer Lehr version and a standard 3 color camo, no zimmerit.
Distinctive rounded glacis on this version: the later models were more angular.
rubber tracks, just for testing
rubber tracks, just for testing
It’s done! After multiple retouching and a lot of work with pigments and washes, I can finally show the final result.
Enjoy the pics!
An update on my JS-2 diorama: Here are some photos of the first stages of painting for the base.
I started by painting the individual details with plain colors (no shadows or highlights). I also worked a bit on the rust effects. The corrugated panel in the center of the diorama is more a test than anything, since it will be entirely hidden underneath the tank.
Then I used the airbrush to start simulating brick dust and give some hints of shading.
Next step will be the washes and pigments.
Just a quick post to show the results of my recent column building frenzy…
I followed this excellent tutorial from Black Magic Craft on youtube: A great Youtube channel by the way.
The main material is foam board. They were relatively quick to make and I like the fact that the bricks appear uneven: perfect for a dungeon or ancient ruin.
I started to work on the diorama for my JS-2 tank. I wanted to keep it small and simple, but as always I got carried away a bit, adding lots of details in the rubbles. The scene is supposed to take place right after the fall of Berlin.
I had a white plastic wedding cake column in my parts bin (leftover from some wargaming terrain I did a while ago). I decided to use this in the diorama as a way to suggest the destruction of fine german classical architecture. A library? A bank? Who knows…
Still, something was missing to really coin it. This small diorama had to evoque the fall or Berlin (and I didn’t want to use another nazi flag, as I did in this other diorama). So I sculpted a nazi eagle emblem, the kind of wich was afixed to many building facades in large german cities during the 3rd Reich. I used Apoxy sculpt and fine tools (including a needle) to sculpt, and did it while listening to an audio book of H.P. Lovecraft novels.
I know. No link. But somehow the combination of sculpting and listening to cosmic horror stories is really relaxing for the brain 🙂
Anyway, enjoy the pics for now: I’ll be painting all this and posting the results in early 2019.
Happy New Year to all of you!
Strips of cork. I cut them in small “bricks”, sanded the edges and glued them one by one. I took A LONG TIME! But the end result is very good.
The plastic column was butchered with a rotary tool…
I used epoxy putty to fill the hollow parts. With a saw, I also scribed the horizontal lines, to add a touch of realism.
More expoxy putty work.
The cock pavement is completed. I test fit the elements…
Work is started on the nazi eagle (Apoxy Sculpt).
The cobblestone is grouted with drywall compound.
With a heated needle, I made some holes on the column. I then used my X-Acto to carve around the holes to simulate bullet impacts on the stone.
Various debris are then glued to the base using white glue and wood filler.
The debris, from another angle.
The finished eagle. When it will be painted, I plan to but a chain near it to suggest that it might have being torn from the facade…
Again , the rubbles: bits of cork, styrofoam, pieces of wood, a some plastic bits.
Test fitting the JS-2. The miniatures are to be repainted (I don’t like the green of their uniforms)
Test fitting: Another angle.
Just a quick update on my Panzerkampfwagen II from Tamiya: I finally painted the commander figure.