An old piece today.
A diorama I made ages ago for a contest at a local gaming store (I won second place btw). Most of the temple is etched plaster covering a wood base.
For the sculpture on the wall, I pressed various figures on a clay sheet and poured plaster of Paris, then etched the brick patterns on it after it was dried. The columns are also made of plaster, poured in… cardboard toilet paper rolls. Yep.
The paint job is ok, but as for most of my older pieces, it consists mainly of layering and drybrushing.
It think the diorama should be viewed as a whole, telling a story: Mama dragon, protecting her eggs, wants to get a free meal from superstitious orcs, who are about to get attacked by a brave halfling thief and a (hopefully) powerful mage.
A jungle scene…
Some tension in this scene…
“Hum… free meal!”
“Wait… Something’s wrong…”
“If I can just find that wand now…”
“Just wait ’till the last moment: It will be more cinematic!”
“Now if that *&# mage could just find his stuff…”
I thought it would be nice to share some pics of a dragon mini I painted eons ago. It is an old dragon miniature, from Grenadier (same collection as my blue dragon in this other post). What is interesting here I think is the use of 2 unusual objects for the diorama: the base of an antique desk lamp and a glass globe, used for exterior porch lamps. The diorama of the dragon, complete with the tree and dead horse, was made on a small round piece of plastic, glued with epoxy to the metal lamp base. The glass globe is held in place with plumber putty, but It could have been “glued” with silicon or even epoxy. Overall it is quite an impressive piece and looks terrific in my office. I hope you enjoy it to.
Happy new year world!
I have been very quiet lately on my blog. Work, work work. But I have made some things in the past few weeks. And I will share all of it on this blog (lucky you!) 🙂
So the new year starts with… sci-fi crates. We are planing to test drive Savage Worlds RPG with an Aliens themed gaming session and I needed some props. To be honest, I didn’t but I always wanted to do some custom Aliens Colonial Marines stuff in 28mm.
Nothing fancy: plasticard + pieces from different scale models from my bitz box(es).
I am planning to cast these in resin, so stay tuned!
I am also working on Aliens eggs and face hugger…
Some photos of my completed Tomb Kings skeletons from Games Workshop.
I don’t like the cartoonish look of these minis, but I needed a lot of skeletons for the gaming table and I wanted something cheap: I paid 35 $CAN for 16 minis, which is good. I bought these a while ago, before Mantic Games made their line of skeletons available (damn!). I find Mantic Games skeletons more realistic and I definitely would have preferred them over GWs, but it’s ok: my current minis are just fine for gaming.
I LOVE zombies! They are scary as hell, disgusting, relentless, remorseless, fearless, and they come by the dozens! Perfect monsters for a Dungeon Master 🙂
Zombie minis on the market are of uneven quality, and available in various degrees of ‘realism’. So, if you want a swarm of nice looking zombies for your gaming table, it can get quite expensive.
It is hard to vary the poses enough to get very different looking zombies (lots of extended arms). But still, the overall effect of the horde is quite cool.
That’s why I got interested in Mantic Games line of minis. They are much cheaper than most minis out there, quite detailed and less cartoonish than Games Workshop plastic minis. My first order with this company was for a pack of zombies (later, I also purchased 2 packs of orcs, which you can find in some other posts on this blog).
Quick post: my paint job on Reaper Miniature’s EyeBeast.
Unpainted original miniature (from Reaper Miniature’s web site)
The finished miniature (the base still needs a few touch ups though).
I coated the miniature with gloss varnish for an extra layer of -yurk!-
The blending on the teeth was made mainly with successive washes.
An old work this time: a blue dragon diorama I made eons ago. It was before the time when I learned to use washes. The main techniques I knew back then were dry-brushing and layering. But still, I like this little scene.