I worked a bit on my Brummbar. To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed. First, the kit is old (lacking details). And I had problems with the first coat of primer, which resulted in a grainy rough finish: I should have stripped the paint and sanded the model to repaint it to a smoother finish, but I wanted to be done with this kit and so I repainted over the old paint directly…
Then, I had some more problems with the decals (they were old and brittle and started breaking when I applied them…). I had to make use of scratches and weathering to mask the poor quality of application.
As if it wasn’t enough, the (cheap) oil paint I used to make my first wash had coarse pigments in it… and I forgot to put a semi-gloss varnish prior to washing… So the surface was too textured and matte, and pigments gripped to it like crazy. I had a hard time creating gradual shadows around things and I had to correct a lot of dirty pooling messes everywhere. Argghhhh!
I used Tamiya Hull Red color for the scratches, but I am not pleased with that either. I should have used Raw Umber (very dark brown) instead, as the reddish tinge of the Hull Red is too strong a contrast for the yellow of the Dunkelgelb in my opinion. But that will probably be corrected with subsequent weathering (dusting, rust, mud etc…)
Overall, it is still an interesting looking beast. Not precise, easy or quick, but cool.
It is also my first real attempt at a vehicle painted mostly in Dunkelgelb.
The pics show the model with part of the chipping done. Still a lot of (not so much fun) work to do…
Anyhow: Enjoy the pics!