Quick update: I made moulds for my scratch build crates. I casted many copies both in resin and in plaster (a special plaster named ‘Dry-Stone’, which is a lot stronger than standard plaster). So far, I am pleased with the resulting pieces, although I have difficulties casting anything without air bubbles imperfections. That’s not a huge problem: I will try to retouch the crates a bit using epoxy putty (for the resin ones) or wall filler (for the plaster ones).
I had problems especially with the larger crates: I made a nice looking thin ridge on the top of these big guys and in the end, it proved to be very easy to damage and builded up air bubbles like crazy. I guess I am learning the hard way what shapes are trickier to cast and mould (for a hobbyist like me anyway). Overall, it’s ok: even the worst looking crates will still look fine once paint and weathering will be done.
I still need to clean up the pieces you see on the photos: a little bit of shaving with an X-Acto blade and some sanding is required.
I plan to make some oil drums, shipping palettes and other bits like that.
And when I’ll have enough stuff, I will make 2″ X 2″ and 2″ X 4″ stacks that will be nice on the gaming table, as parts of factory or industrial looking terrain (or spaceship cargo bay).
Tons of fun ahead!!!